“A leader in the field” Mark Lawson
“Feels like an entirely new dramatic genre from the aptly named Original Theatre Company” The Guardian
“One of the big lockdown innovators, Original Theatre, continues to set the pace putting new, high quality theatre online” Daily Mail article - The Best Plays To Stream Online
"Original Theatre are truly the connoisseurs of virtual theatre" WhatsOnStage
"Extraordinarily enterprising Original Theatre’" Daily Mail
"It’s life-enhancing to see OTC keep pushing back artistic barrier" London Theatre Reviews
"Original Theatre are out there continuing to set a standard for online theatre, creating pieces that truly capture the story whilst using the best of digital technology" Curtains Up
Operating and touring since 2004 the Original Theatre Company has toured extensively all over the UK and since 2020 have launched Original Theatre Online, producing a number of acclaimed online productions.
Recent online productions include Birdsong, Apollo 13: The Dark Side of the Moon, The Haunting of Alice Bowles, Barnes’ People, A Splinter of Ice with live streamings of Being Mr Wickham, A Cold Supper Behind Harrods, The System Into the Night, The Red.
Recent stage productions include The Hound of the Baskervilles, A Splinter of Ice, The Croft, Sarah Waters’ The Night Watch, Stephen Jeffreys’ Valued Friends (co-production with Rose Theatre Kingston); Torben Betts’ Caroline’s Kitchen (originally Monogamy); Alan Bennett’s The Habit of Art, Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest, Frederick Knott’s Wait Until Dark, Torben Betts’ Invincible, Emlyn Williams’ Night Must Fall, Terence Rattigan’s Flare Path and the award winning tours of Sebastian Faulks’s Birdsong adapted by Rachel Wagstaff.
Other productions include Three Men in a Boat (a co-production with the Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds, 2014 & 2015); the 50th anniversary production of Sir Peter Shaffer’s The Private Ear and The Public Eye, Our Country’s Good, See How They Run, Twelfth Night, Dancing at Lughnasa, Shakespeare’s R&J, Vincent in Brixton, The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Othello, The Madness of George III, starring the late, great Simon Ward; Journey’s End and The Importance of Being Earnest.
Original Theatre Online
Since March 2020:
- We have produced 14 digital theatre shows that have streamed online (The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Red, Into The Night, Being Mr Wickham, A Cold Supper Behind Harrods, A Splinter of Ice, The System, Barnes’ People, Apollo 13, Birdsong, The Habit of Art, The Croft, The Haunting of Alice Bowles, Watching Rosie)
- Of our digital productions, three shows were live-streamed: Being Mr Wickham – April 2021 (from Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds); A Cold Supper Behind Harrods –June 2021 (from Oxford Playhouse); The System – August 2021 (from New Wolsey Theatre, Ipswich)
- Directed by Tristan Shepherd, our Original film VIRAL premiered at the Everyman Kings Cross cinema and has gone on to win three awards at the 2022 U.S. Nevermore film festival: Audience Award, Best Long-Form Narrative Short and Best Actress for Saffron Coomber.
- We are streaming to over 57 countries including America, India, Canada and Australia.
- Our loyal viewers have streamed our work over 54,000 times online.
- We have created our own online steaming site at originaltheatreonline.com and are in the process of launching a brand-new website experience.
- We have over 40,000 users registered to Original Theatre Online
Contact us at [email protected]