"An exceptionally impressive 2020... I’m still tipping my hat to a company that employed more than 100 freelances, and reached 30,000 households last year" Daily Mail
"Original Theatre are truly the connoisseurs of virtual theatre" WhatsOnStage
"Original Theatre, a digital platform that has been a stand-out performer in drama's emergency migration online" Mark Lawson
Operating and touring since 2004 the Original Theatre Company has toured extensively all over the UK.
The company now stages three productions each year as well as operating accompanying
outreach and education programmes. Recent productions include Ali Milles’ The Croft, Sarah Waters’ The Night Watch, Valued Friends (co-production with Rose Theatre Kingston); Torben Betts’ Caroline’s Kitchen (originally Monogamy), Alan Bennett’s The Habit of Art, Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest, Frederick Knott’s Wait Until Dark, national tours of Torben Betts’ Invincible, Emlyn Williams’ Night Must Fall, Terence Rattigan’s Flare Path and the award winning tours of Sebastian Faulks’s Birdsong adapted by Rachel Wagstaff.
Other productions include Three Men in a Boat (a co-production with the Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds, 2014 & 2015); the 50th anniversary production of Sir Peter Shaffer’s The Private Ear and The Public Eye, Our Country’s Good, See How They Run, Twelfth Night, Dancing at Lughnasa, Shakespeare’s R&J, Vincent in Brixton, The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Othello, The Madness of George III, Journey’s End and The Importance of Being Earnest – all touring nationally to great acclaim.
Original Theatre Online
Since March 2020:
- We have produced 2 multi-camera streamings of our 2020 productions (The Croft, The Habit of Art)
- We have produced 5 made for online productions (Birdsong – July 2021, Watching Rosie – Aug 2021, Apollo 13 – Oct 2020, The Haunting of Alice Bowles – Dec 2020, Barnes’ People – Feb 2021)
- We have produced a multi-camera streaming premiere of A Splinter of Ice – April 2021
- We produced our 3 live streams, Being Mr Wickham, A Cold Supper Behind Harrods and The System
- Streaming to over 50 countries including America, India, Canada and Australia
- Streamed to over 47,000 households worldwide
- Employed over 200 freelance theatre and film workers
- Created our own online steaming site
- We have over 37,000 users registered to Original Theatre Online
We have set up Original Theatre Online to create and share our work digitally, creating a new platform to build new audiences, develop new work and innovate every part of the online theatrical experience. Year 1 was just the start as move into year 2 we are looking to build and expand and that is where you will come in.